Tuesday 21 June 2011

Another good fitting - 1827

Yesterday I had another fitting with the couple of musicians who are getting 1827 clothes. She loved her underwear, and I sorted out to armholes of the shift so it fits better! The drawers have tucks and broderie anglais, and some lace on the shift will complete the pretty. (Don't have small scale broderie anglais so the trim won't match.)

The corset is a bit of a problem. Drafted from a pattern in "Waisted Efforts" which I don't usually like, I then altered it because this lovely corset was posted, and the alterations made a big difference to the fit, as she is somewhat "straight" up and down, and gussets at the bust didn't help. The single piece centre panel, and seams that go over the bust made a big difference.I added large hip gussets, and will straighten the back a little as the gap isn't even when fully laced.

The bodice pattern worked very well, although not truly correct for the period. There are no darts at the waist, but a shaped side seam under the arm. The darts simply don't work - to do with the straight up and down shape again. However, the fit was good, and the original white muslin collar which I found in my stash, fitted the neckline perfectly - a real bonus. Sleeves drafted from Hunnisett, then altered slightly, also worked - she needs flexibility for playing the violin. The front will have a band to hide the hooks and eyes - totally impractical to have it open, and pins simply won't work in this situation.

His fitting also went well - I'd added a bit to the trousers width - they are meant to be looser fitting. The wasitcoat, which I had agonised over for hours, was a perfect fit, and the collar, which I had despaired of, worked like a dream - and it all fitted together well - hope it ends up like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment