Thursday 2 June 2011

Fittings, good and bad

Yesterday the couple who are having 1827 ish costumes came for their first fittings. He went first and I was really pleased with almost everything. The "Cossack Trowsers" were a good fit apart from the waist, which was a bit tight. I talked it through with him, and we were agreed that a couple of inches all over would be a good idea as in the original painiting that I am attemping to replicate, the young man's trowsers are even baggier. The coat was a good fit, but in spite of me lengthening the body, it still needed another inch on the length, easy enough to do, and three inches on the skirt, also easy. (My note on the paper pattern, self made for an earlier costume, said "lengthen", which I did on the body but not the skirt - that needs to be checked on the person, as each coat needs to be different.) He loved the original period shirt I loaned him, so I need to copy that. It would make sense to make and keep a pattern, although  as I still don't plan on going on working, I can't think why, right now!!

The sleeve was way too tight and not long enough, but as I drew it pretty much freehand, I wan't surprised. I have a good enough shape to work from though.

The lady loved her shift and drawers, and I showed her the calico for the petticoat. (I made a funny cobble when putting in the underarm gussets, which I haven't yet been able to sort out, but I will take the **** thing apart, again, and try and sort it out! The stays were not succesful. I will have to recut them, but in the proper fabric this time, and much wider on the hips, somehow. She doesn't normally wear a bra, and is rather soft, so I had a little local difficuly getting her to understand what I wanted, but I got a fit, which I now need to make corset shaped!


We spent some time discussing the dress itself, and it's a combination of the two dresses from "Costime in Detail" plus a couple of ideas and a sleeve pattern from Hunnisett. I will take photos I promise! Oh, and she might well have a cap as her hair is rather modern. I rather like the second one - she can't have her ears covered because she is a musician and needs to be able to hear, so I think the second one is rather good, and pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment